[ale] A lightweight X editor

Chris Ricker gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Wed Mar 13 10:35:22 EST 1996

On Wed, 13 Mar 1996, Dan Newcombe wrote:

> Are there any recommendations for a lightweight X based editor?
> (No Eric, XEmacs doesn't count as lightweight!!!)  Basically
> something at about the level of Windows Notepad.  xedit doesn't
> cut it, and XEmacs, while nice, is just a tiny bit too big.
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Tiny bit too big?  XEmacs?  That's pretty funny ;-).  Did you ever notice
what XEmac's icon is?

Seriously, though, I like Xjed (an X extension of jed, if you're familiar
with that).  YMMV, o' course ;-).  There's another editor, whose name
escapes me right now, that I use sometimes as well.  It's a commercial
package, but free for linux, and made right here in Atlanta.  I'll look up
the name when I get a chance (or maybe not, since it's finals week ;-).
If you get desperate, there's always an xterm with vi.

later,
chris