[ale] NIS and NFS

Alfred Grahame Leach aleach at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 29 16:20:39 EDT 1996

Hello,

I'm working on a lone Linux machine in a sea of SUN's.  I'd like to be
able to use NIS for user accounts (passwords) and NFS to mount user home
directories.  I'm having trouble finding sufficient documentation on how
to accomplsh this.  In particular, there is no useful NFS howto (the only
thing I can find is for doing NFS installs), and the steps in the NIS
documentation require that one execute:
	/bin/domainname-yp <domain name>
While /bin/domainname-yp does not exist on my machine, domainname does
and gives me no errors upon execution (using the same domain name as that
used by my SUN - I determined this name using the names of files in the
/var/yp/bindings directory on the SUN.  This makes sense, right?)
However, when I follow this command (as specified in the NIS howto) with:
	/usr/sbin/ypbind
I get a core dump.  The client yp executables that I have (ypbind, ypcat,
ypmatch, ypasswd, ypwhich) were installed as part of the RedHat (3.0.3)
installation.  Are there known problems with these?  Is this crash a
known bug that only I don't know about?  Otherwise, what am I doing wrong?

In general, any pointers to good information on NIS and NFS would be much
appreciated - especially if it's taylored to the Linux environment in
particular...

TIA

- Al

  | Al Leach              |  Georgia Tech              | Sailing is:       |
  | Graduate Student      |  College of Computing      |  hours and hours  |
  | MS, CS/Networking     |  Atlanta, GA 30332         |  of boredom,      |
  | email: aleach at cc.gatech.edu                        |  moments of sheer |
  | WWW: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/people/home/aleach   |  stark terror...  |
  |     < Georgia Tech - Olympic Village of the 1996 Summer Olympics >     |