[ale] kernel crc error (with system details)

Joseph Knapka jknapka at mindspring.com
Sat Jul 20 08:26:20 EDT 1996

>Sorry, I forgot to include system details when I sent this message.

--- ipsnay ---

>Question:
>---------
>Does anybody know why a kernel that compiled cleanly would give a crc error?
>
>I compiled 2.0.7 last night, got no errors, but get:
>
>	Uncompressing Linux...

I take it you are booting from a floppy? If so, write the kernel to another
floppy - the cyclic redundancy check error most likely indicates a physical
problem with the diskette.

If this is happening with a kernel booting from the HD, then it may mean
the same thing (physically damaged HD block), in which case you could try
booting from floppy, renaming the kernel image (so the bad block, if any,
can't get re-used), rebuild the kernel again (leaving the bad kernel alone),
and reboot.

If the problem really is a bad block, that might allow you to get the system
booted; then you'd have to fix up the bad block. Presumably e2fsck will do this,
if properly invoked?

- Joe