[ale] Certification (tired of it)

Derek lorimer at alliance.net
Fri Jul 19 18:38:18 EDT 1996

At 10:50 AM 7/19/96 EDT, dboyd at berry.edu wrote:

>After catching up with my ALE mailing list, especially the
[- snip -]
>the Certification topic.  Granted there are some bozos that have never
>had to maintain Novell servers and have only memorized enough to
>pass the tests, but Novell is changing the tests to eliminate some of

See, this is the problem.  I didn't intend to offend anyone with my remarks
regarding the CNE certification, or any others, but the fact remains that there
are many bozos out there who DO have a CNE/A/whatever, and are NOT
qualified for the job!  The only way to discover otherwise is to question ANY
person possessing a CNE/A in depth and see just what they do know.
This is yet another case of "a few bad apples spoiling the whole barrel", but
unfortunately it is still true.  Novell's changing the tests now is one
thing, but
it won't remove the mismatched CNEs out there now unless they require
full recertification for ANYONE possessing a CNE, which could cause a lot
of bad press.

>that problem.  My only beef is that they can get jobs for which they are not
>really qualified.  But that doesn't mean that Novell certification is
>useless or "just a piece of paper".   My thoughts and mine alone...

Except that if you can't trust that a CNE means he's competent, it really IS
just a piece of paper... :-(  I don't want ALE to end up with anything like
that hanging over their head.  I only wish these thoughts were mine alone...
there are far too many people who believe the same out there.

Anyway... trying to get back on a Linux track... :-)  Has anyone had troubles
getting X to come up under runlevel 4 (ie, set system to start in runlevel
4) and
then not had it read the .Xdefaults file in a user's home directory?  I'd
like to
just have my box start in X, since I finally have a box that will support it
properly
(P120, 16MB RAM), but unless I start it off with xinit from a VC, it doesn't
want to read .Xdefaults files when I log in.  :I  Help?
    finger for PGP key -*- lorimer at alliance.net -*- Vote Brain/Pinky in '96!
     Key fingerprint =  D1 6E A2 69 CF 60 C6 90  3D 34 BE 05 87 B8 12 C8
          "I toasted the enemy, cursed the flag, saluted the glass
            and dashed the King in the fireplace."  - Sir Rodney