Network Cards

Todd B SanMillan bain at crl.com
Tue Feb 20 09:32:08 EST 1996

I recently was given some WD8003e ethernet cards. While Linux is smart
enough to figure out how to use them, Novell is not.  They are no longer
supported, but SMC has an upgrade offer.  If I send in the cards, I can
get their 16bit ISA card (Elite, I think) for $50 each. I don't have any
critical need for networking, just trying to teach myself, so I don't
need the best and the brightest. So I could just buy some NE2000 clones
for less. What I would like is some feedback on experiences with cheap
netcards.  Is this going to be a real headache getting them to work?  Any
brands to avoid? Should I just go ahead and take advantage of this
*special offer*?
TIA
Todd