[ale] nis nfs

Bryan E. Rank bryan at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Aug 6 17:23:13 EDT 1996

Hi,
I had posted earlier that I was having a hard time getting nis/nfs
(ypbind in particular) to work on my Redhat 3.0.3 box.

It's up and working now using mounting nfs directories.  A couple of
people also were having some problems, so I figured that I would post
what was not obvious to me when I first tried to do this.  There were
two things that I think that other people would find helpful that I
found to be not so apparent in the HOWTOs.

First off
	In the nis HOWTO there is mention of a call to /bin/domainname-yp.
	If you are using Redhat and had it do the install of yp for you
	I think that you will want to look at making a call to
	/bin/domainname instead.

Secondly (and more importantly I think)
	When you go to edit /etc/yp.conf if you are running your box as
	a gateway, and one of your interfaces is a ppp (I assume that
	the same would be true of slip, but I have never used it) link,
	it is imperative that you tell ypbind what server to bind to.
	To do this you must use the "ypserver" keyword.  If you use
	just plain "server", then it would seem that after not reaching
	the server on the first try, ypbind will alternate broadcasts
	between eth0 and loopback.  For some reason ypserve seems to
	tell ypbind not to broadcast and it will use the appropriate
	interface as long as the "ypserver" can be resolved.  It seemed
	to me that "server" should have also done this.

At any rate I hope that this saves someone a little time.  If I am
wrong about any of these assumptions I would appreciate a note from
someone who knows more about it then I do.

Thanks

Bryan