[Re: [ale] uugetty]

andy dread at atlcom.net
Mon Apr 29 23:08:43 EDT 1996

--------------DA263EC2E3F

andy wrote:

> I currently have uugetty setup for my dial in connection. It works flawlessly. except
> > sometimes when I hang up, getty for some reason thinks i am still connected so it does
> > not reset the line. I have tried different modems with no luck. The carrier detect light
> > goes off but the rd and sd light remains on constantly and getty refuses to answer. This
> > seems to be a common problem and has plagued me since I started using Linux.
> > current config:-
> >       *Hayes Optima PnP Business Modem v.34+voice+fax External
> >       *Hayes ESP Serial Port (this also happend with regular 16550AF serial port)
> >       *Pci local bus/NCR SCSI
> >
> >               Any help will be greatly appreciated
> >
> >                                               Thanks
> >                                                       Andy
> >)Andy,
> )  I suspect that you have local echo turned on in the modem and it
> )is confusing uugetty by sending responses down the line the uugetty
> )thinks are login username - you might try placing the modem in the mode
> )that turns off messages longer that the word 'CONNECT' in response....
>
> )-- Dave Ritchie
> )der at atl.hp.com
>
> You need to set the modem up so that it resets when CD drops,
> probably &D3 and &C1
>
> Greg
>
> --
> Greg Hankins (greg.hankins at cc.gatech.edu)  |  Georgia Institute of Technology
> Computing and Networking Services          |  College of Computing, room 213
> +1 404 894 6609                            |  Atlanta, GA 30332-0280
> Greg Hankins
> finger gregh at cc.gatech.edu for PGP key
>
> Bing wrote:
> >
> > When the CD lightb goes out and the send and recv lights are constanly on that
> > means you are in a echo feedback loop.  To stop this include "E0" in your modem
> > init string "E0" in most Hayes competible modems will turn off the local echo.
> >
> > Bing
 After testing with both suggestions (local echo 'E0' , and D3 for modem reset), I have
 found that both work better together, than either one alone. So the problem after 2.5
 weeks of testing is now solved.

         this works:-

         ATE0&C1&D3&k3
         Stored in NovRam in the modem under Profile Z1 with &W1
         Uugetty init: ATZ1

                 Thanks Again
				Andy

--------------DA263EC2E3F