[ale] Partition table wet (not completely hosed)

No one in particular gt7783b at prism.gatech.edu
Sat Apr 6 02:16:57 EST 1996

> Check what your BIOS says about your hard disk.  On ours, it defaults to
> trying to re-map the drive below 1024 cylinders, but you can choose
> several other options.

I did check the BIOS, and it showed the disk as having 825 cylinders.  I
corrected the disk setup in the BIOS, but linux fdisk is still convinced that
I have an 825 cylinder disk.  I'm really curious as to what was done to put
the imcorrect parameters onto the partition table.

> Did you try using dos fdisk /mbr and then re-installing lilo?

No, if I rewrite the partition table (using dos fdisk /mbr), won't that
destroy my linux partions, forcing me to reinstall *everything*?  This is
exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

Ideally, what I'd like to do is (in whatever order works):
  1.  Explain to linux fdisk that I have a 1651 cylinder drive
  2.  *Repair* the partition table, saving my existing data, rather than
      creating a new partition table from scratch, thus forcing me to
      reinstall all my linux stuff.

It seems that I should be able to do this from the extra functionality
portion of linux fdisk.  Anyone having experience with rebuilding a
partition table in this manner (or having any other suggestions), please
help me out.

Thanks for your help thus far,
wes