[ale] Partition table wet (not completely hosed)

Todd B SanMillan bain at crl.com
Sat Apr 6 11:54:25 EST 1996

On Sat, 6 Apr 1996, No one in particular wrote:

> > Did you try using dos fdisk /mbr and then re-installing lilo?
> >
> No, if I rewrite the partition table (using dos fdisk /mbr), won't that
> destroy my linux partions, forcing me to reinstall *everything*?  This is
> exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

Having just dealt with a similar problem, I want to clarify some stuff.
Fdisk /mbr doesn't rewrite the partition tables, just inserts the
neccesary boot sequence for dos.  But from what you have said so far,
that's not the problem, the problem is a corrupt partition table. In my
case the disk *was* osed, so I just re-installed.  But that is what you
are trying to avoid :)  Refresh my memory, can you boot DOS? And can you
boot Linux from floppy?  If so, I have heard that you could copy one of
the working part. tables over the corrupt one, but I haven't done it and
don't remember what was suggested to accomplish this.  Sorry.  You might
try asking a wider audinence that ale, since no one seems to have the
answer here.  You could try a search on the comp.os.linux groups for this
subject, I know I have seen it discussed before. Sorry I don't have a
better answer and good luck.  Post the answer here when you find it and
I'll save it this time, in case I ever run into that problem.