[ale] [ALE] Happy Birthday BASIC

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Wed May 8 08:10:32 EDT 2024

I am surprised that this one didn't get an email. Happy Birthday BASIC, it
turned 60. It only three years older than me, and has more functions than
me too.

https://www.tomshardware.com/software/programming/the-basic-programming-language-turns-60-dartmouth-basic-started-it-all-in-1964

As a kid, I got into BASIC because it was the way to get games. I forgot
the name of the magazine, but I would buy it every month and sit at my VIC
20, trying the code in, playing such games and Oil, where you drill to get
oil hoping to hit a pocket with a devil in it. Or trying to understand what
the data fields were doing.

Since I missed the 4th as well, here some BASIC Code for you guys

https://www.goto10retro.com/p/star-wars-theme-in-basic

Yes, I was one of those kids that would type some weird messages on the
computers tha would repeat, like

10 print "Long live ALE, bring more beer"
20 goto 10

Happy Computing guys

--
Terror PUP a.k.a