[ale] Cloning laptop drive didn't work

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sun May 5 19:22:45 EDT 2024

Finally had a chance to try the kernel options but no luck. I get
repeating errors of the form:
I/O error, dev sda, sector 0 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x80700 phys_seg 1 prio
class 2
Then these repeat several times before the I/O error above repeats:
ata1.00: status { DRDY DRQ }
ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 Serr 0x0 action 0x6 frozen
ata1.00: failed command: READ MULTIPLE
ata1.00 cmd c4/00:08:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/e0 tag 0 pio 4096 in
         res 58/00:01:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/e0 Emask 0x2 (HSM violation)

(everything scrolled off screen too fast so I couldn't get the initial logs)

Eventually it gives up.

Dropping back to the original kernel settings the errors are different:

This one goes slower so these are the very first messages:
ata1.00: Read log 0x00 page 0x00 failed, Emask 0x400
ata1.00: revalidation failed (errno=-5)
ata1: SRST failed (errno=-16)
ata1: SRST failed (errno=-16)
ata1: SRST failed (errno=-16)