[ale] Southeast Linux Fest

jon.maddog.hall@gmail.com jonhall80 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 3 17:42:28 EDT 2024

I appreciate the time you took to type all of that in and I hope that it inspires people to go to SELF, as I have in the past.

I tell people that I am like Dracula, you have to invite me into your house.   And these days an invitation includes a hotel room and an airline ticket.

As you probably know, I have been in Linux since 1994, in commercial Unix since 1983, in AT&T Unix since 1980 and in various types of what some people might call "Open Source" today since 1969, when I first started programming.

As such I went to:

DECUS
USENIX
Unix Expos
Comdex
Linux meetings....more Linux Meetings

I estimated one time that the number of events is in the thousands.  I have over 1 million miles on each of three major airline flight programs.

At the height of Unix and Linux travel for DEC I was probably traveling 60% of my time, with little piles of various country's souveniers littering my living room and den.   Rice paddy sandals from Vietnam, chops from Hong Kong, beer steins from all over....

I liked going most of those trips, and was lucky enough to have various groups pay my travel expenses.

However I am now 73 and even though people still seem to enjoy hearing me speak,I have fewer people willing to pay for my travel expenses.  And at the age of 73, after three heart attacks and (now) with a loving husband who is limited in the time he can take off from work, I want to spend a bit more time with him....so I pick my travels carefully.

When I do travel I also have to plan my airplane trips carefully, since I can not run through the airport like I used to do during layovers trying to make the next flight.

I do miss the people at SELF, and I remember the people from the Atlanta Linux Showcase and the people from Astricons (particularly Mark Spencer) and others.

Some day soon I will probably print up one of those "Final Tour" T-shirts like the bands use, with all the dates, cities and events on it.  And at the end it will be the end.

Warmest regards,

maddog