[ale] Seeking Filesystem Guidance

Raylynn Knight seca900rider at gmail.com
Mon May 1 22:41:09 EDT 2023

> On Apr 30, 2023, at 10:30 AM, DJPfulio--- via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
> If the flash storage will be connected to Linux, check out f2fs - Flash Friendly File System.  It supports all the stuff we expect on Linux, but is not journaled, so the write counts will be less.  Some smartphones support f2fs.  On Linux f2fs is a FUSE file system - i.e. non-kernel.

Since when is f2fs a FUSE file system.  https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/fs/f2fs/f2fs.h would indicate that it is actually part of the Linux Kernel.  And from the Config file under /fs/f2fs

config F2FS_FS
tristate "F2FS filesystem support"
depends on BLOCK
select NLS
select CRYPTO
select CRYPTO_CRC32
select F2FS_FS_XATTR if FS_ENCRYPTION
select FS_ENCRYPTION_ALGS if FS_ENCRYPTION
select FS_IOMAP
select LZ4_COMPRESS if F2FS_FS_LZ4
select LZ4_DECOMPRESS if F2FS_FS_LZ4
select LZ4HC_COMPRESS if F2FS_FS_LZ4HC
select LZO_COMPRESS if F2FS_FS_LZO
select LZO_DECOMPRESS if F2FS_FS_LZO
select ZSTD_COMPRESS if F2FS_FS_ZSTD
select ZSTD_DECOMPRESS if F2FS_FS_ZSTD
help
F2FS is based on Log-structured File System (LFS), which supports
versatile "flash-friendly" features. The design has been focused on
addressing the fundamental issues in LFS, which are snowball effect
of wandering tree and high cleaning overhead.

Since flash-based storages show different characteristics according to
the internal geometry or flash memory management schemes aka FTL, F2FS
and tools support various parameters not only for configuring on-disk
layout, but also for selecting allocation and cleaning algorithms.

If unsure, say N.

Ray