[ale] Strong home wireless router?

DJPfulio at jdpfu.com DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Jun 5 09:06:24 EDT 2023

On 6/4/23 13:35, Solomon Peachy via Ale wrote:

>> My CMMI training says, that if 1 bug is found, there's an 86%
>> likelihood of another bug existing in the same software.
> Pfft.  If you assume anything other than 100% probability of
> eventually finding a flaw, you're a fool.  So you have to design your
> system to asusming it's going to need to be updated.

I'm using actual statistics from that 30 yr software program. It isn't a made up number.  This was a CMMI-5 software development program, so I find the "pfft" a little offensive.  We were writing the most bug free, non-trivial, software in the world.

>> If you want strong security, assume the protocols have bugs (known
>> and unknown) and take necessary steps to mitigate those.  1 method
>> is to use a full VPN. IPSec is the most secure VPN today.
> Yeah, you have to layer stuff.  FWIW, even with KRACK, if you used
> encrypted network protocols, the worst the attacker could do is DOS
> you.

Wifi and any VPN can be setup to be very usable for normal people on multiple devices.  I've seen 20+k people using it just fine with 2FA.  We know they used it because without it, they couldn't patch their systems AND have the success reported.  Turns out that reporting of patching is just as large a problem as actually doing the patching inside a corporation.