[ale] Did I lose my windows partition ?

Boris Borisov bugyatl at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 09:17:51 EST 2023

When you try to do kind of stuff first thing is to do windows force
defragment of the hard drive. That way all files get pushed at the front of
the drive. Then you using the software to partition the drive. But not
fdisk. Fdisk doesn't know where the last files on the Windows partition
are. Parted or gparted will allow you to resize windows partition to
desired size somewhere after the last files. That way would free
unpartitioned space after /dev/sda1. Then you can do whatever with the free
space.

After reboot windows will detect that sda1 has different size and would
correct file table for the partition sda1.