[ale] networking confusion

Jason Jessico jjessico at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 19:57:30 EST 2023

A good place to start is defining your requirements, time budget, and
dollar budget.
Start with broad requirements, and then refine them with more details as
you go.
1) Provide a guest wifi network
1a) Require a password.  Rotate password automatically every X days
1b) etc
2) Prevent IoT devices from communicating with other devices on the LAN
3) Restrict outbound access to external services
3a) External services must be defined by URL
3b) etc
4) Limit the bandwidth available to a group of devices on the LAN
5) Learn more about networking and network security
6) etc

Then sketch out a time budget:
1) I need features 1-3 live in two weeks.  Features 4-N can go live as
needed, later.
3) I have 10hrs a week until it is live to research, test, and deploy
3) It cannot require more than 1hr of maintenance monthly to maintain
99.99% availability

And lastly a dollar budget:
1) The equipment I have on hand is a RTR Model X, Switch Model Q, AP Model
D Qty 2
2) I have an additional $x dollars to spend on this project

The requirements will help you build a diagram of the solution, which in
turn will allow you to build a list of actual gear & configuration to
implement.  Passing that through your time and dollar budget will refine
what your options actually are for achieving your objectives.

As James mentioned, things like guest wifi are near enough 'checkbox
implementations' on some home/soho/smb platforms.  DJ's comments about
testing after implementation is indeed important for validating that your
implementation achieves the results.  In the requirements, consider
defining how you would test each one has been met.