[ale] networking confusion

DJPfulio at jdpfu.com DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sun Jan 15 08:21:01 EST 2023

I subnet based on security needs, not location.  Both methods are valid.  In a house, there's usually no need to subnet based on location.  The distances are small enough that a CAT5e cable easily connects everywhere and usually, devices on 1 floor are distrusted at the same level as other devices nearby, unless there is a family VPN server or other internet-facing servers running at home.

Times like this, I really miss the RateMyNetworkDiagram website.  There, people would upload diagrams of their different networks for others to rate. It was a good place to see what professionals were doing and the learn.

Everything from tiny 1 computer + 1 modem "networks" to 20-site Enterprise WAN connectivity would be posted.  Sadly, the webmaster decided to hide all the networks behind a php DB lookup so the WaybackMachine couldn't cache any thing.

I think Narahari is running a Mikrotik router, so it can probably do most of the big boy subnetting with vlans.