[ale] ip address on br0 but not on eth0

DJPfulio at jdpfu.com DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sat Feb 4 08:44:29 EST 2023

On 2/4/23 02:56, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
> If the VM Guest uses netplan, he can disable that and use a pretty
> simple shellscript.

If he ever seeks help from the Ubuntu community, they will assume netplan for any installed server, along with 500 other assumptions.

But any script can be used to setup and tear down networking, that is true.

I'm with you if your intent is to say that rather than learn 50 different config file methods across 50 different subsystems, it would be easier if people just used simple scripts with the main commands for the subsystem to control stuff.  For some reason, the distros think that learning beginning sh/bash is harder than fighting with systemd "Unit" files or all the different configs in XML, YAML, Win-Init, or 45 other formats we are subjected.

> If he's willing to live with his VM guests being natted to 10.0.x.x, he
> doesn't need a bridge at all.

True. My 10.x.x.x subnet is outside my router, managed by the ISP. Internally, besides the public IP subnet, there are multiple other subnets to split into different security zones, firewalled apart. While we don't know what Hari's intention is in total, we do know that he's trying to setup a single network for his VM host and VM guests to share. The subnetting for that, provided it isn't internet route-able, is less important.

Most people are want to follow the typical methods to accomplish a task using their distros suggested methods. Yes?