[ale] Anyone out there?

Ethan dev.null.02 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 15:46:31 EDT 2023

Jim - had no idea you were a HPC eBay degenerate, ahem distinguished
individual, like myself. I’ve mostly stopped, tho I still have a server
with active/active round-robin SAS3 multipathing per SSD (1600 MB/s read
speed per SAS SSD, and I have four SSDs in RAID0), a weird proprietary high
density flash Intel-made server (Broadwell-era) with RAIDed U.2 SSDs, and my
rack still runs the same 40GbE Mellanox NICs and switch I’ve had for like a
decade (though 100GbE is getting really affordable if you’re willing to get
into the weeds with a whitebox switch and Celestica). Keeping up with
VMWare compatibility has pushed me towards smaller, more efficient and
cheaper setups tho.

Got any crazy finds or setup stories?

On Sun, Apr 23, 2023 at 1:28 PM Jim Kinney via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 23, 2023, 10:27 AM William Bagwell <rb211 at tds.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, April 23, 2023 10:01:49 AM Jim Kinney via Ale wrote:
>> > I'm beginning to think that HPC may be an addiction best treated with
>> > low-tech hobbies like gardening and metalsmith work.
>>
>> Does not work! Still need a way to read forums for the new hobby you just
>> spent all your money on.
>>

> Total facepalm. Yeah. I have 10-15 sites on jewelry making and tools and
> supplies I hit regularly. At least a crappy laptop is enough. Maybe if I
> add an external monitor I can....
>
> AAAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!
>
>> --
>> William

Sent from my mobile. Please excuse the brevity, spelling, and punctuation.