[ale] Anyone good with traffic control?

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sat Apr 8 18:24:51 EDT 2023

I pretty much had the basics of that script in my old firewall except I
was using fq_codel because it's supposed to be slightly better
performance. New firewall is a bit of a larger beast and I'm running two
LANs and one WAN port with multiple static IPs assigned to the WAN so
lots of SNAT.

I wanted to try and redo the traffic shaping on the new router primarily
to make sure that my problems with service are the result of AT&T and
not just me. :)  But then again I'm getting tired of AT&T's customer
disservice and inability to provide anything faster than (an
anticipated) 25/5 (on a maybe perfect day) so I'll likely end up with
Spectrum soon. It's still asymmetric at an estimated 600/35 but it's
technically cheaper than AT&T and upload speeds would be roughly seven
times faster so VPNing into my home from elsewhere wouldn't be quite as bad.