[ale] Fair Use question

David Jackson deepbsd.ale at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 14:19:19 EDT 2022

I'm taking a class at church that is using a $15 textbook.  There's also a
$15 workbook that the teacher is making xerox copies of the required pages
for each lesson for our classroom discussion.  I bought another copy from
the publishers that gives a copy of the text, workbook, and a year's online
access to both and also to educational movies for each lesson.

1. Is it Fair Use to the teacher to make xerox copies of the workbook each
week?

2. Is it Fair Use for me to make weekly PDFs of the online content if only
for my own use?  How about for sharing with other class members?

3. Is it Fair Use for me to make copies of the movies for a year?  What
about keeping copies beyond the year?

Okay, this is really small potatoes here I know, but basically the teacher
called me a criminal, I thought she was wrong, and after a little googling,
now I'm not sure.  So are any of us in this class breaking the Fair Use
clause in this class?

TIA!

Dave