[ale] IPv6 local devices with a prefix that may change

DJPfulio at jdpfu.com DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sun Nov 6 13:51:32 EST 2022

On 11/6/22 13:39, Alex Carver via Ale wrote:

> The thing I was primarily asking about is how to be robust against a
> prefix change in an IPv6 implementation similar to how IPv4/NAT helps
> isolate me from my WAN's IP changing assuming that I don't use NAT
> because nearly everyone screams about it if you threaten to use it on
> an IPv6 system.

Isn't this solved by DNS?  Leave the hostnames the same, regardless of the LAN. Just change the IP stuff in the DNS ... and on the host, of course.

I've been burned by using centralized DHCP reservations, so only use them for devices that are portable or don't support a method to manually configure IPs ON-THE-DEVICE.