[ale] AT&T fiber and IPv6?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Nov 3 13:02:51 EDT 2022

My experience (NB: I have not tested recently, so probably a year+ out of
date) is that their IPv6 "throughput" is much worse than their IPv4.  As a
result, when I turned on IPv6 through them, I saw much less throughput
than using v4 -- so I turned it off.

I also had an issue that using IPv6 caused FaceTime to stop working -- but
I *suspect* that was a firewall issue.  I did not spend enough time to try
to track that one down.

Obviously YMMV, but you might want to try some tests (if you care).

-derek

On Thu, November 3, 2022 12:58 pm, James Sumners via Ale wrote:
> A follow up on this thread. AT&T finally activated the lines in mid
> September. I signed up (through Earthlink) and have been on 1Gb
> symmetric since September 30. I haven't noticed any issues with the IPv6
> implementation. I do wish they would give me an SFP+ card to stick into
> my Ubiquiti UDM-PRO instead of the huge gateway device they mandate, but
> everything has been quite good for the first month.
>
> On 2022-02-11 17:06, James Sumners (ALE) via Ale wrote:
>> Earlier today AT&T attached some fiber to the pole directly across the
>> street from my driveway. I’m sure it will take them another month or
>> two to activate the line, but I want to go ahead and solicit some
>> knowledge from you folks.
>>
>> Currently, I’m on Comcast (plain residential). I despise the
>> business, but their network people are top notch and have rolled out a
>> nice stable IPv6 network. They assign my WAN interface a `/128` and
>> allow network assignments via a `/64` or `/60` prefix delegation over
>> DHCPv6. The `/60` allows me to create multiple VLANs in my house for
>> things like IoT devices separate from my primary devices.
>>
>> Does anyone have experience with AT&T’s IPv6 implementation? Would
>> switching to them be mostly transparent in this regard? Are there any
>> “gotchas” that I should be aware of?

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745