[ale] SMTP recommendation?

James Sumners james+ale at sumners.email
Thu Nov 3 12:55:17 EDT 2022

Resurrecting this thread with a conclusion:

I never got around to fully fleshing out how I would solve this with my
own resources (although, the solution I settled on _is_ an open source
one, so it should be possible). Ultimately, I stumbled across a couple
of services:

1. 33mail.com
2. simplelogin.com

Initially, I tried 33.mail.com but they wouldn't relay with SMTPS and
their support does not exist. So I switched to simplelogin.com[1].

SimpleLogin is _exactly_ what I was looking for to solve my problem. I
have been able to setup a custom domain (actually two) to serve as my
anonymous mail domain with the following benefits:

1. I can enable "catch all" so that I can enter anything in the local
part of the email address and it will get delivered to me.
2. I can reply to any emails I get that have come through SimpleLogin
and my "from:" address will be hidden. No need to add multiple local
aliases to satisfy the outgoing SMTP server.
3. I can generate a reverse alias from the dashboard if I need to
initiate a conversation without starting from a reply. Whenever I want
to contact the other party, I write an email to the reverse alias and
SimpleLogin will get the mail, anonymize it, and relay it.
4. I can disable aliases through the dashboard and stop receiving _all_
emails from that spammy entity without going through 50 different "I
didn't sign up for this list" pages.

I am a little disappointed that they got bought by Proton Mail shortly
after I signed up. I fear that will eventually mean I need to sign up
for Proton Mail if I don't want to run things myself. But I really
couldn't be more pleased with this service. I just wish Soverin would
implement it and include it in my annual subscription to them.

[1] -- https://twitter.com/jsumners79/status/1548041511761154050