[ale] New style of email attack?

neal at mnopltd.com neal at mnopltd.com
Tue May 3 20:52:27 EDT 2022

We've seen two instances of what might look like a new flavor of
phishing attack.

My wife got an email ostensibly from a local HVAC contractor we have
used in the past, asking her to click on a link to view an RFP and see
if she wants to work with them on it.  She knew enough to smell a rat
and delete it.

And today, I got an email from a campground in Canada where I made a
reservation, asking for me to buy an Amazon Gift card for their family
'cause they had a heart attack, and they will pay me back.   In that
case, the reply address was XXXXXXX at outlook.com, when in fact the real
emails from the park were sent from XXXXXXX at somethingsomething.ca.

It's like some attack is floating around which just harvests
combinations of To/From email addresses, and they blast out various
attempts to fool people.

I've only seen a couple like that.  Do I just not get out much?

Is this ringing a bell?

Neal