[ale] Accessing Brother scanner from Linux

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Tue Jun 21 10:33:09 EDT 2022

One retires when one has enough money to retire comfortably, after a
realistic look at what things one "has to have" without working for
more income.  One also must look at one's health, including family
medical history.  I LOVE programming and computer security but time for
other things now.  Surprisingly, I don't miss it.  (I still do a little
and maintain my home network and leased server in NJ.) Yesterday I was
in the ocean.  I was on Saturday too.

A dear friend never stopped working, saying "I can't afford to retire."
His doctor made him stop.  He died only about two years after that
without having a great retirement with his wonderful second wife.

Another friend co-owned a business property where they each had a
medical practice.  When the co-owner dropped dead of a heart attack at
60 my friend decided to retire on his 60th birthday and had a blast!
It is important to compute how much a year one can spend to last to
one's estimated end of life.  Contact the Social Security Admin to
find out what your retirement income will be if you retire at different
ages.  Yes, there always will be Social Security for us; politicians
won't risk losing the votes to end it.

Your retirement decision should involve a deep reflection on what one
really wants to do, where to do it, and how much money it requires.
You may need more play money as you will have more hours in a day to play.
Have a plan for how to spend your time that should NOT include TV!
For me, it includes finishing my big singing Tesla coil and learning to
play the piano as well as the ocean and travel.

Many people retire to a low-cost-of-living state, though Georgia is near
the low end here.  My brother retired to Chattanooga, Tennessee on the
side of a mountain 5 minutes from downtown.  Tennesee and Florida have
no state income taxes, though FL property taxes are high.  Many parts
of Florida (and Georgia) have a low cost of living.  South Florida where
I now live not so much!

Do you need to buy a new high-end car every few years?  What about other
expensive things?  A consultant once said: If you want to buy something
expensive, maybe a house on a lake, new car, etc. do the following.
Compute hour hourly take home salary by knocking off 33% of your annual
income for Fed income taxes.  Maybe add 6% for GA state taxes, totalling
about 40%.  Then divide by the standard 2000 hour work year.  Lastly,
divide the cost of that item by your take home hourly rate.  That is
the number of hours of your life that you must work to have that thing.
All of a sudden many things are not nearly so important.

All should be saving a substantial portion of one's income in retirement
savings, such as an IRA or Roth IRA.  Spend the time to watch your
investments and change as needed.  Yeah, the economy and stock market
and real estate is all coming down but try to save still.

I know that Mike Warfield is having a great retirement in Athens, GA
and traveling.

Bob