[ale] Wired/wireless router recommendation(s)

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Jun 10 13:09:04 EDT 2022

DJPfulio--- via Ale said on Thu, 9 Jun 2022 09:36:27 -0400

>I keep wifi separate from routing.  I expect the router to last at
>least a decade and swap out the wifi AP as standards move forward,
>perhaps every 5 yrs.
>
>I gave up on non-x86-64 router hardware because it gets dropped from
>support so quickly. By sticking with nominal x86-64 hardware
>($150-ish), you'll almost always have multiple F/LOSS choices in
>routing software that is constantly maintained.  I patch my router
>weekly, just like I patch other computers.

Right now I'm using an all-in-one router/wifi, but my intent is to
install an OpenBSD/pf firewall-router right out of the cable modem, and
feed that to a switch. One line from the switch will go to my wifi
access point.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Spring 2022 featured book: Making Mental Models: Advanced Edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mmm