[ale] You know you're getting old....

DJPfulio at jdpfu.com DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sat Jul 16 11:35:19 EDT 2022

On 7/16/22 01:34, Ken Cochran wrote:
> Re COBOL, didn't You-Know-Who try to replace/displace it with
> PL/I?

I was paid to code in a language very much like PL/I for 5 years on a real-time flight control system.  Sorta like Python (or BASIC), with semicolons and optimized matrix operations built-in, just compiled, not interpreted. Guidance calculations are often solved with matrix math.

Nothing wrong with PL/I on EBCDIC systems, though I remember they were converting much of the true PL/I to Rexx when I left that job. Rexx is a fine language too, again, like python or bash.