[ale] AT&T fiber and IPv6?

James Sumners (ALE) james+ale at sumners.email
Sat Feb 12 18:49:37 EST 2022

Oof. This tracks with the rumors I have heard. Bad IPv6 support is very likely a deal breaker. At least for gaming, it makes my life easier.

On February 11, 2022 at 17:45:02, Derek Atkins (derek at ihtfp.com) wrote:

Hi,

I've had AT&T Gigapower fiber (1G symmetric) for a few years now, with a
/29 static IPv4 address. I feel like the Comcast networking group "gets
it" better than AT&T does. Even though I've got 1Gb, and can get 900+
Mbps speedtest, I really only see about 250Mbps for real usage (fast.com).
I can't really compare this to Comcast, as I only had a 100M/12M
(asymmetric) connection from them.

When I first got it, AT&T was using 6rd, and I could only get like 1Mbps
via v6. So I turned it off. I have v6 connectivity through and HE tunnel
and also from a co-op I belong to up in Boston (via a GRE tunnel).

More recently I learned AT&T swapped over to DHCPv6-PD, and I was able to
set it up locally. AT&T now gives a /60 via -PD. So I set it up on my
network (for a while). I found the v6 performance was about half my v4
performance (although finding a real v6 speedtest that isn't speedtest.net
is hard), but worse, facetime stopped working while the v6 network was up.
It's possible this was due to a firewall configuration issue, but I
didn't want to spend too much time on it so I turned it off due to WAF.

One day I will look again.

-derek

On Fri, February 11, 2022 5:06 pm, James Sumners \(ALE\) via Ale wrote:

> Earlier today AT&T attached some fiber to the pole directly across the
> street from my driveway. I’m sure it will take them another month or two
> to activate the line, but I want to go ahead and solicit some knowledge
> from you folks.
>
> Currently, I’m on Comcast (plain residential). I despise the business, but
> their network people are top notch and have rolled out a nice stable IPv6
> network. They assign my WAN interface a `/128` and allow network
> assignments via a `/64` or `/60` prefix delegation over DHCPv6. The `/60`
> allows me to create multiple VLANs in my house for things like IoT devices
> separate from my primary devices.
>
> Does anyone have experience with AT&T’s IPv6 implementation? Would
> switching to them be mostly transparent in this regard? Are there any
> “gotchas” that I should be aware

Derek Atkins 617-623-3745
derek at ihtfp.com www.ihtfp.com