[ale] dd vs clonezilla to replace hard drive

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Dec 31 03:54:14 EST 2022

Jim Kinney via Ale said on Fri, 30 Dec 2022 13:56:54 -0500

>Or do the best method and do a fresh install of your fav distro and
>use the old disk as your data backup and copy over your home for.

This is similar to what I do.

>Assuming your distro has a package manager, just export a list of
>installed packages to make sure you get them all in the new install.

This is what I do. I do so using the following command:

xbps-query -m > packages.sh

The preceding command lists all the packages I manually installed, not
packages installed because they were dependencies.

On the new machine, I use Vim to change packages.sh from a list to a
shellscript. I do only about 10-30 packages at a time, marking the rest
with pound signs to comment them out. I do this because there will be
some dependency failures that are easier to diagnose if you install
only a few packages at a time.

I also make files showing the results of the old
system's mount command, lsblk, and

SteveT

Steve Litt