[ale] Back to new the desktop question

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Tue Dec 20 02:21:39 EST 2022

On 2022-12-19 13:20, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
> Alex Carver via Ale said on Sun, 18 Dec 2022 00:28:06 -0800
>
>> On 2022-12-17 23:39, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
>
>>> 1978-1985 I repaired audio equipment for a living. I made or repaired
>>> twenty to sixty solder joints a day. But I wouldn't solder in a
>>> laptop unless it was hopelessly broken, too expensive to fix, and I
>>> was soldering as a Hail Mary to revive it. Today's ultra-thin trace,
>>> multilayer boards require special equipment and special skills to
>>> solder with acceptable risk.
>>>

>> We're not talking about a laptop, we're talking about a desktop with a
>> drive-bay multi-card reader insert.
>
> If the intention is to cut a *wire*, I withdraw my caution. If it's to
> cut a trace on the board, all that really changes on desktop vs laptop
> is that only one card is in jeopardy, and it's easier to get to. But I
> wouldn't be caught dead messing with the traces on a modern multilayer
> circuit board unless I had both the proper tools and the proper
> training.

It's a wire in an aftermarket device mentioned previously (a multiport
card reader device inserted into a case drive bay). Nevertheless
PCB/PWBs aren't so fragile that you'd need to fear them, even the fine
trace type. I work on them frequently with only an ordinary Weller
soldering station which is the same type that most any PWB fab house
will use, too. The only thing that's critical is temperature and you can
easily get temperature charts online for different trace sizes and board
thicknesses/stackups. Some desoldering braid and an appropriate tip
temperature is all anyone needs.