[ale] Back to new the desktop question

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Dec 19 16:20:09 EST 2022

Alex Carver via Ale said on Sun, 18 Dec 2022 00:28:06 -0800

>On 2022-12-17 23:39, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:

>> 1978-1985 I repaired audio equipment for a living. I made or repaired
>> twenty to sixty solder joints a day. But I wouldn't solder in a
>> laptop unless it was hopelessly broken, too expensive to fix, and I
>> was soldering as a Hail Mary to revive it. Today's ultra-thin trace,
>> multilayer boards require special equipment and special skills to
>> solder with acceptable risk.
>>

>We're not talking about a laptop, we're talking about a desktop with a
>drive-bay multi-card reader insert.

If the intention is to cut a *wire*, I withdraw my caution. If it's to
cut a trace on the board, all that really changes on desktop vs laptop
is that only one card is in jeopardy, and it's easier to get to. But I
wouldn't be caught dead messing with the traces on a modern multilayer
circuit board unless I had both the proper tools and the proper
training.

SteveT

Steve Litt