[ale] Back to new the desktop question

DJPfulio at jdpfu.com DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sat Dec 17 09:37:05 EST 2022

On 12/17/22 08:49, William Bagwell via Ale wrote:
> On Friday, December 16, 2022 10:34:57 PM DJPfulio--- via Ale wrote:
>> Sounds awesome right?
>>
>> Well, because of all the USB2 stuff, when they are connected, booting
>> takes almost 5 minutes as each port/slot is checked for media/storage
>> to be booted. In the end, I left the USB3 ports, audio, and eSATA
>> connected so booting would take so long.
>
> Good to know about the USB2 slowing boot time. Media dashboard seems to
> be a decent search term. Found one with no USB2, three USB3, eSATA, USB
> type C and six different card slots. (Four I will probably never use)
> Kingwin on Amazon for $26, identical no name from $18 to $50 elsewhere.
> Reviews are mixed, but not finding anything similar in a brand I
> recognize. All have a bunch of USB2.

IME, every card slot needs 10 seconds, pre-boot, to look for media in the slot.  There might be only 1 physical slot, but internally, there are X number of USB2 ports.  As long as you know that you might just not connect the card reader, for the cheap price isn't a terrible option. Just be certain you have a USB adapter for your memory cards.