[ale] Why Kali linux?

Scott M. Jones eff at dragoncon.org
Sun Dec 4 15:11:36 EST 2022

On 12/4/22 12:28 PM, DJPfulio--- via Ale wrote:
> On 12/4/22 10:04, Jim Kinney via Ale wrote:
>> Saw a report quite a while back that Kali was often seen at the AZ
>> security conference and was usually the successful attack target due
>> to it's inherent insecurity.
>>
>> But that was many moons/beers ago and the organic ram is sometimes
>> random to the point of useless.
>
> Kali is for launching attacks and has most tools setup already for that
> purpose.  It is not meant to be used as a server or desktop driver. It
> is for penetration testing only.  I think the login used is root!

You might be thinking of "Metasploitable" (2/3) which is intentionally
vulnerable and intended for "target practice" for aspiring pen testers.
Don't expose a "Metasploitable" instance to the outside world unless you
really know what you're doing.

Kali has to be set up for root login by default for tools like "nmap" to
be fully effective, since many of the scan types are restricted for
non-root accounts.

-Scott