[ale] Back to new the desktop question

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 12:22:49 EST 2022

I have got the opposite way, I have been looking at Small Board Computers
or NUC's, something that will use less that 65 W of power, but have enough
power to do what I want. I have Gigabyte Brik that can use a max 32 Gigs of
memory, Intel i7 1.8Ghz, 8 Core, with 1 TB NVMe M2 that I use it for,
Ansible Development and accessing my lab and sbc, and watching my media on
it.  It's four years old, newer ones would probably be even better.

I want a new nuc with the latest AMD, because the graphics are supposed to
be great with the new AMD Process, so that I could do high-end gaming on a
nuc. I don't need a rig with RBG, that seems to be the in thing now, plus
less storage bays, my older tower that more a plex server, was my gaming
rig.

On Sun, Dec 4, 2022 at 10:31 AM Jim Kinney via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> Never underestimate the constant annoyance of loud system fans. Unless the
> hearing is already burned out in that frequency range, getting a large box
> to hold large, quieter fans is a sanity/marriage saver.
>
> I'll never forget the total daggers look as I turned on the first 1U in
> the basement. The words "You aren't going to leave that running, are you?"
> was clearly the indicator I had screwed up. There were 5 more coming online
> that day. It was not a good day/month until I replaced them with 2U and
> 4U.  Sound insulation has no impact on memory.
>
> On Sun, Dec 4, 2022, 10:05 AM William Bagwell via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, December 04, 2022 06:45:14 AM Leam Hall via Ale wrote:
>> > and suggestions on a motherboard for a small tower?
>>
>> Same boat, so will be following this thread closely. Have not built my
>> own since 2007 and hate what I am currently using. Retirement is now on
>> my radar so have about a year to plan and purchase.
>>
>> Not wedded to any brand, but unless someone knows of recent declines in
>> quality will look at ASUS first. My M2NPV-VM while pretty much useless
>> today still runs after 15 years!
>>
>> 17 inch mid tower(s) and Mageia here.
>> --
>> William