[ale] Testing a SATA HDD for physical/electrical hardware faults

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 08:04:57 EDT 2022

Holy crap!

They only thing I can think of is either the current draw of the drive is
too high or the voltage tolerance of both is too tight. Either way it's
unlikely a failed drive can destroy a backplane slot. It's highly likely it
overloaded a tolerance that the controller read as "no slot device". Unless
that drive was really wonky and died with a strong oscillating current draw
that could damage a trim capacitor or an inductor on the slot power it will
likely recover on a power cycle.
Yeah, maintenance window challenge.

Might be able to run the drive with some current measurements to see if it
can be running out of spec. Will need to cut power lines and splice in
gear.

It might be possible to make the controller re-read the backplane.