[ale] [OT] Self-study for hiring bullets?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 18:36:18 EDT 2022

Once upon a time a cert would land a job. Then it would just get an interview. Soon there were certs all over and it was discovered that having a cert meant nothing.

Put scripts in a git* repo that automate the work you're learning on your own. A proven track record of self-taught progress should count heavily in an interview.

Resume: you have a side gig where you do the new stuff. Found you like that more than current main and looking to side step into more of the new stuff. Matters not that the side gig is cash out and not in. But be able to rip through an aws setup blindfolded wearing bandaids on all fingers.

On April 30, 2022 1:24:01 PM EDT, Leam Hall via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>I'm adding skills (AWS, Terraform) but work doesn't require them so
>they are harder to put on the resume. Coursework seems like a viable
>option to improve the hiring odds. Certifications used to be decent,
>but so many of the testing centers are closed and few if any remote
>testing options work on Linux.
>
>When your hiring managers look at candidates, do they value coursework
>like EdX, Coursera, or other training?
>
>Leam
>
>--
>Automation Engineer        (reuel.net/resume)
>Scribe: The Domici War     (domiciwar.net)
>General Ne'er-do-well      (github.com/LeamHall)

Computers amplify human error
Super computers are really cool