[ale] State of text based email programs?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 08:51:07 EDT 2022

I've not used pine in decades. Or it's editor part pico (line length limit was the terminal size and it inserted a \n instead of wrapping. Perl was very unhappy). Mutt is still used for shloging through localhost server email for system events. Still works.

Still use mail/mailx for automated sending. HPC users often finish with a custom  status email.

Did recently hit a snag with mailx on message body size. At around 10k characters, it doesn't send anything. Apparently, some users want to get a few million characters in email after a job run so they can read the results on their phone.

On April 24, 2022 8:16:28 AM EDT, Leam Hall via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>I used to use Pine and Mutt, are they still the best choice? Mutt seems
>like it's still active, Pine may not be.
>
>Recommendations for a non-thunderbird open source mailer that can take
>in the decade or two of email I have?
>
>Leam
>
>--
>Site Automation Engineer   (reuel.net/resume)
>Scribe: The Domici War     (domiciwar.net)
>General Ne'er-do-well      (github.com/LeamHall)

Computers amplify human error
Super computers are really cool