[ale] OT: SSD format

DJPfulio at jdpfu.com DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sat Apr 9 10:42:08 EDT 2022

On 4/8/22 16:06, Boris Borisov via Ale wrote:

> My thoughts are that this tool should be able to ask SSD controller
> to remap the available space so bad memory block to be avoided.

SSDs have been doing this for 5+ yrs. Quality SSDS for twice that.
What an SSD provides to the OS is 100% virtual. Has nothing to do with anything physical inside the chips. How they handle wear leveling is a closely guarded secret for SSD makers.

More expensive SSDs are over-provisioned with extra chips to swap into use as needed. This is all within the SSD controller and the quality of that software is what differentiates the great SSDs from those with names we know, but crappy warranties.  If an SSD doesn't say (or refuses to say) the TBW endurance numbers, run away from that vendor.

I try to leave 20% of my SSD unused.  That seems to allow the extra space to be used on cheaper SSDs as an over-provisioned storage area, drastically improving lifetime.

IMHO.

In short, there is nothing to be done.