[ale] Where would you put a serverless thing?

DJPfulio at jdpfu.com DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sun Apr 3 13:07:59 EDT 2022

On 4/3/22 12:44, Boris Borisov via Ale wrote:
> You are right. We all have got megabits and gigabits of internet
> connections. We should be able to host stuff relatively easy.

Vastly depends on the audience. If this is for the world to access, security makes me want to put it outside my network.  Most people don't deal with network security sufficiently, so it is best avoided.

OTOH, if the goal is to provide a little game for family and friends who I can whitelist for access, then I'd definitely host it at home. If I cannot whitelist their access by IP/subnet, then I'd look for a cheap VPS or container service. ChicagoVPS is very cheap, but isn't well known for great uptimes. For a hobby site, that wouldn't matter.  Think they have plans for $15/yr if the amount of RAM needed is tiny (128MB).  $3/month if more RAM is needed.  $4/month for more RAM ... you get the idea.  Not for remote desktops, clearly, but with something like alpine as the base, 128MB may be more than sufficient.  Stay away from the bloaded stuff and RAM needs on a server can be pretty small.