[ale] Remove systemd network handling

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sat Sep 25 01:22:43 EDT 2021

On 2021-09-24 18:39, Solomon Peachy via Ale wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 01:48:12PM -0700, Alex Carver via Ale wrote:
>> Solomon, it's decidedly not a hardware problem, just leave that alone.
>> Hardware was working fine under Debian Jessie and Stretch then started
>> acting up on a recent Buster update which also enabled automated updates
>> without telling me.
>
> So... you updated the operating system, and its behavior changed in a
> subtle manner.
>
> Goes to show you, if you don't want your systems to change, don't change
> it?
>
> More seriously, I hope you reported the regression, because as a rule
> Debian considers that sort of thing to be a pretty big deal.

To get security fixes and some library bug fixes I had to update.  It
was not possible to stay with Stretch and get all the fixes I would have
needed hence the upgrade to Buster.  Nowhere in the notes did it
indicate it was going to automatically add systemd timers to fire off
apt and do background system updates.

I'm disappointed in you Solomon. DO NOT PIN THIS ON ME.  I was not given
the option to keep my settings as they were, I would have not approved
them and gone a different route if it had been disclosed.  Flippant
suggestions of "don't change it" don't support the case that this change
should have not done harm since your case is that systemd is better and
this is objectively not the case in this instance where removing a
portion fixed a problem.

I've reported it, it falls on deaf ears so not much I can do beyond that.