[ale] Remove systemd network handling

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Thu Sep 23 07:17:10 EDT 2021

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 02:33:48AM -0400, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
> Handling things we don't need handled is what systemd is best known
> for. Today it's networking. Tomorrow perhaps home directories. One day
> it will grow its own package manager and systemd distros will drop
> their own. In its five years, systemd has repeatedly solutioned things
> that already had great solutions. As long as systemd is used at all,
> one is constantly at risk of this kind of situation.

Oh, FFS.

"Systemd" didn't sneak into Alex's RPi in the dead of night and take
over networking.

Debian developers made the decision to use systemd networking features.
Just like they made other decisions to avail themselves of other systemd
features. (I might add that exactly *two* of systemd's features are
mandatory [PID1 and journald]; the rest are *entirely optional* and up
to the distributor/integrator to enable or otherwise utilize. or not)

Assuming this isn't a hardware problem (far from certain at this point!)
This is a *Debian* (or possibly Raspbian) bug, of the sort that should
never be caused by an update to -stable. It needs to be reported through
the proper channels (eg raspbian forums or debbugs) so it can be
addressed properly.  (And if he's not using -stable, then this is a
pretty mild bug vs what one can typically expect from -testing or
-unstable, and still needs reporting regardless!)

Meanwhile, I have a RPiZero on the shelf behind me running bone stock
raspbian, datalogging from an i2c-attached environmental sensor. it's
been running for well over a *year* (over wifi) with no issues
whatsoever except for cat-induced power outages. Maybe the systemd cabal
snuck in a logic bomb that triggers at 5am every third weekday that
causes just the right RF emissions to make my cats murder the darkness.
Or maybe they just find USB cables tasty.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)