[ale] [EXTERNAL] Re: Time for this Grey Beard to stir up some stuff

Allen Beddingfield allen at ua.edu
Thu May 27 11:17:44 EDT 2021

Relying on automation and abstraction IS the problem.
People know how to create a configuration in Ansible or Salt to install a service and make changes to a system, but they have no clue what that is actually doing.  I don't trust it.  I drive the younger folks here crazy, because I don't want to just place a Salt state on a system and let it magically do the thing I need done.  I insist on having it run a script that steps through the steps.
The RHCE certification path is pretty much an Ansible certification, now.  With 7.x and prior, you had to know in-depth how basic services work.  Configure Apache, configure a database, know some basic SQL, configure a directory service, etc...  Now?  Nope.  You just have to know how to deploy it with Ansible.  SUSE seems to be going the same direction with SUSE Manager/Salt.
The same problem started a lot earlier in the Windows world.  You now have a couple of generations of Windows sysadmins who didn't start out on DOS.  Most of them don't understand the basic layout of a c: drive.  Where did you save the file?  "In the documents folder".  Where is that?  "In my profile".  Okay, where is your profile stored on the hard drive?  BLANK STARE.

Allen B.
--
Allen Beddingfield
Systems Engineer