[ale] Time for this Grey Beard to stir up some stuff

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed May 26 21:48:48 EDT 2021

Chuck Payne via Ale said on Wed, 26 May 2021 16:56:31 -0400

>Good Afternoon my fellow Grey Beards,

>So I have noticed that more and more post teaching people to do stuff
>with config or anything on the CLI, are using nano.

ROFLMAO --- coke spray :-) !!!

>Why in Gods name would you teach them that. Is VI or VIM so hard.

Not as hard as nano. It's like a different-keystroked Wordstar without
the help screens.

>gave up on Emacs ( My first editor by the way ) years ago, but if you
>worked on FreeBSD, you had vi. If you worked on Solaris, you had vi.
>Linux has vi.
>
>I have come to love VIM, I do most of my edits in vim.

I like Vim so much I based VimOutliner on it. Vim's wonderful.

> I enjoy color
>syntax in vim.
>
>I get the joke that exit is hard if you don't know how to do :q! or
>:wq, but Emacs was so much harder with crtl-x something, something.
>
>Anyway, every time I see nano, I want to scream, "You kids don't know
>anything. Get a real editor."

Can nano do block select/cut/paste? Does it enable keyboard-only people
with the authoring speed their skills are capable of? Can it change a
specific string on the third line below every instance of a different
string?

>People who don't know the magic of doing things like %norm $T.D, to
>delete everything after the period. Or the beauty of using sed to find
>and replace. Truly are missing out.

The more they addict people to "user friendly" (ignorant friendly
actually), the more they can do away with POSIX to sell their Linux
consulting and educational services.

SteveT

Steve Litt