[ale] Getting rid of VMware

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri Mar 12 11:47:33 EST 2021

Posted too quick. Would agree that bonded NICs is much more likely.
The ARP scan should help confirm that.  All the major Linux distros
support bonding ethernet links. Easier in some than others.

I deployed iSCSI for a VMware setup about a decade ago. It was easy.
Need that because most of the VMs at the client were Windows and we
were replacing about 20 out-of-support servers with 2 new boxes
running VMware ESXi. It also lowered their power use and cooling and
UPS needs for the building drastically.

I never liked the backup solution we had to use due to VMware. A
straight Linux OS with KVM provides so much more flexibility without
being tied to paid licenses.  But the client wanted to pay, so we
let them pay.  Around 2011, I retired the last VMware from my home
lab, retired Xen and switched to KVM for everything. I've never, ever,
regretted that specific choice.

With KVM, you can mix and match at the level you want for very little
risk.  I run containers, VMs, and some direct-on-hardware stuff all on
the same systems. Which gets used depends on the level of isolation
needed. Flexibility.