[ale] KISS: Is Sniffing a Real Threat in a modern Switched LAN?

neal at mnopltd.com neal at mnopltd.com
Thu Mar 11 11:46:29 EST 2021

Ok, thanks for that info.  Now, in the scenario below, debating what NEW
exposure we might be adding with making downstairs Wifi an access point,
and adding a linux server running Jamulus... One might wonder how a
notebook or tablet with a Wifi connection could muster enough traffic to
over-saturate a gigabit wired switch.  Especially if bandwidth limits
are enforced by the Access point.

THEN, not only does the switch need to start hubbing, but one has to
also cause the same behavior in a brand spanking new Ubiquity
EdgeRouter.

In order to maybe sniff enough of the HTTPS encrypted traffic to try and
crack the encryption and find bank account numbers and passcodes.

Is that a realistic threat?

If there is a hole in the linux server, that would have a gigabit Cat5
connection.  But same situation applies - it would have to cause a new
router to mess up to sniff traffic on another Eth port.   Is that
realistic?

I'm not saying impossible, but how motivated would one need to be and
how likely?

Regards,

Neal