[ale] KISS: Is Sniffing a Real Threat in a modern Switched LAN?

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Thu Mar 11 10:43:23 EST 2021

In the past, many switches, when confronted with enough traffic, have
fallen back to acting like hubs.  Nefarious people have generated large
amounts of traffic in order to trigger that condition and allow sniffing.
This specific problem is an example of a larger issue: When securing
networks, only security in depth is practical.

Bugs (and designed behavior that is problematic) can always cause one or
more layers to stop enforcing expected security guarantees.  That's why
people get so excited about, e.g., the end-to-end encryption of something
like Signal.  Even if something goes wrong (like sniffing inside the cloud
service provider's network) you still have some guarantees.

  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>