[ale] local fileserver to cloud replacement?

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 16:42:45 EST 2021

Brent,

Check this out.  With Nextclould you can install app that maps on the
computer like a shared folder, it works on Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. It
also works with iOS and Android. a

Control is simple. You can also install other apps like Calendar, Media
Player, and more.

Here is IPS that charges $5 bucks a users. Anyway, I hope that helps.

https://objectivedatastorage.com/nextcloud-hosting/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAvvKBBhCXARIsACTePW_4wF81DiAp6ENK58B8yrKalmvM08nActrtgzvdYjFINyFdRI3v_XUaAuSKEALw_wcB

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 4:21 PM Brent Laminack via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

>  * How many folks need to get to it   - 65
>  * Using what mechanism(s)  - prefer mapped drive to mac or PC
>  * Write-once, or more adhoc? Read/Write
>  * Who manages accounts? OneLogin for provisioning/deactivating, sysadmin
> otherwise
>  * Privacy (/regulatory) requirements - CIS controls, so nothing onerous
>  * Reliability requirements - commensurate to other cloud applications
>  * Bandwidth/performance requirements - have some large files from the
> graphics department
>  * Budget - on the order of some kinda cloud offering add-on ~
> $5/user/month
>
> On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 4:02 PM Solomon Peachy <pizza at shaftnet.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 01, 2021 at 03:48:49PM -0500, Brent Laminack via Ale wrote:
>> > Our organization wants to move about 3.5Tb of data from a local file
>> server
>> > (windows server 2012 R2) to a cloud-based solution. We want to use
>> OneLogin
>> > for SSO and provisioning. What would you recommend? Office
>> > 365/Sharepoint/OneDrive? Google Workspaces? Box? Nextcloud? any
>> > recommendations or anti-recommendations would be welcome. Thanks,
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>>  * How many folks need to get to it
>>  * Using what mechanism(s)
>>  * Write-once, or more adhoc?
>>  * Who manages accounts?
>>  * Privacy (/regulatory) requirements
>>  * Reliability requirements
>>  * Bandwidth/performance requirements
>>  * Budget
>>
>> In other words, "why are you moving it outside your firewall?"
>>
>>  - Solomon
>> --
>> Solomon Peachy                        pizza at shaftnet dot org
>> (email&xmpp)
>>                                       @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)
>> High Springs, FL                      speachy (freenode)

Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne
openSUSE -- Terrorpup
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member