[ale] Need an Ethernet cutoff relay

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sat Jul 31 13:15:34 EDT 2021

That relay isn't suitable for GHz performance however.  RF relays are a
much different form factor than standard SPST (1a) or SPDT (1c) poles.
A regular n-PST or n-PDT has the poles all arranged in parallel planes
like those in the PDF you linked while the armature carrying the moving
contact is connected to the housing pins using braided wire loops or
short sections of stranded wire.  That kind of construction isn't good
for crosstalk, attenuation, or signal balance.

An appropriate module would have to use something like these:
https://omronfs.omron.com/en_US/ecb/products/pdf/en-g6k_2f_rf.pdf

It would be one relay per pair but the DPDT contacts are arranged in a
planar configuration symmetrically around the centerline of the relay
rather than the vertical planes of a standard power relay.  That ensures
minimum crosstalk and also keeps the signals isolated.  The moving
contact is also altered, there's no wire to the housing pin.  Instead
there are four contacts arranged in pairs with a moving bar.  Two of the
contacts are connected together and the other two are the normally open
and closed contacts.  The bar pushes one way to connect a shared contact
wtih the NO contact and then pushes the other way to connect the shared
contact with the NC contact.  No wire loop and precision armatures means
the electrical distance from one pin to another is identical so the
circuits stay balanced.

I'd be making one of these myself but I don't want to spend weeks of
running calculations to get the PC board designed properly for matched
length, matched impedance, and low loss.  If I had PC board software
like Altium it can do those computations on the fly as I draw the traces
and enforce whatever requirements I have on the board design.  I also
don't have $5k to drop on a copy of Altium. :)