[ale] Time for this Grey Beard to stir up some stuff

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Fri Jul 23 17:06:56 EDT 2021

My, the strange coincidence of this thread showing up today in my inbox
when I'm scheduling my fourth service visit for a brand new 2020 Chevy
because one or more computers seems to have some kind of issue that no
one can track down. My old 1985 Dodge sits in the garage only because
the head gasket and transaxle gasket started leaking at the same time
and I couldn't afford to repair both so I got a "new" used Chevy with
only 2.2k miles (dealer loaner car).  It's been in the shop more times
since I've had it than my old car did in 2020.  The old one has OBD 1
(not OBD 2) and throttle-body injection but OBD 1 was actually pretty
specific unlike OBD 2 and I still could figure out the problems even if
I didn't have the right tools or equipment to fix them. Saved a lot of
time at the mechanic when I could just drive up and say "Hey Jack, I
think X is broken".  I can't quite do as well with the new car, I can
only give them whatever info the dashboard computer will show me.